- You will be required to maintain the boat and equipment in top condition.
- You will be assigned a mentor, and you will be required to report to him/her on a BI MONTHLY basis.
- You will be required to write some articles about this program and your experience racing the J/24.
- You will be expected to exhibit a high degree of sportsmanship and responsibility.
- You will be required to maintain sailing records and submit receipts for your expenses.
There is a committee of six (6) J/24 Sailors who will review all the applications. The members of the committee are subject to change, but have included:
Chris Howell (FL) - J/24 Class Director
Chip Till (SC) - J/24 Class President
Molly White (Maine) – J/24 Class VP
Tonja Holmes-Moon (TX) - Southwest District
Will Welles (RI) – Past J/24 Class President
Marcus Rogers (IN) - Midwest District
The importance (weight) of each of the main categories of information is indicated in the “How to Apply” section. Each applicant may submit any additional information they deem necessary to the Selection Committee above and beyond the application.
The Boat Grant Committee reserves the right to contact applicants for a phone interview in order to finalize our selections.
Number of Grants (boats and financial support) will vary from year-to-year based on the pool of applicants, available boats, and Class financial condition.
The Class and Boat Grant Committee are open to creative financial proposals or options that will advance the goals of the Class and applicant. (An example might be the leasing of an unused boat in the district, providing insurance or travel support only, etc). Applicant should apply for the normal grant boat and then add an optional proposal, if appropriate.
Completed Applications must be received by the J/24 Class by midnight ET, April 1st of the application year.
Applications will be reviewed by the Boat Grant Committee between April 1st and April 30th. Applicants will be notified on or before May 1st.
Boats will be granted for use for the 2017 sailing season. Term of use will be June 1, 2017 through February 15, 2018 unless otherwise notified.